Monday, May 2, 2011

Trying in the Rain (Part 1)


I have so much to share I'm breaking it up into two posts.   First I have to tell you my great news, I got the all clear for layoffs today and am safe :)   Now onto my tri on Saturday. The whole week I had been nervous about the rain, but by Friday I had decided to just go with the flow.  Based on Saturday's weather I'm so glad I took that approach.  Friday at work came and went with no work news (whoo hooo, I still have a job) and  I was looking forward to "carb loading" at Olive Garden with a nice glass of wine.  Paul, Belle and I met Molly at the restaurant.  We all only at 1/2 of our dinners in honor of our healthy lifestyles, they were SO DELISH (except for Belle).  I wanted to drool, and the glass of wine with dinner, heavenly. 

It was a nice relaxing way to close out the week in preparation for the next morning.  We ran a few extra errands as I need a few supplies for the surprise I had for the newest Triathletes.  I want to present them with Award Certificates and medals.  I've always found it fun to have a physical representation besides sore muscles of such significant accomplishments.   We headed home put a few last things together and headed to bed.  I never seem to sleep well the night before any big event and Friday night was no exception to this,  as I heard the rain come down I tossed and turned hoping it would lighten up at least a little.

Race morning came fast at 5:00 am.  We awoke to the sounds of rain and wind, argh!  Thank goodness I was mentally prepared for crappy weather.  Paul was so sweet and made me a bagel breakfast sandwich in bed.  I had the nervous jitters of excitement of doing another Triathlon.  I was so excited for Paul, Molly and Ash-Leigh to get bitten by the Tri bug and to see Michelle and Heather.  I was also worried they might kill me since I was the one who found the event and invited them.  It was only like 40 degrees outside and it was really windy!  I had checked out the weather channel and the radar showed it wouldn’t be letting up anytime soon, in fact, harder rain was on its way. 

 We had a few challenged getting the bikes loaded and ready as the rain kept coming down.  I started wondering what the heck we were doing.  Why the heck were we up at 5:00 am Saturday on a cold, windy, raining spring day?   We got the bikes loaded up and hit the road.  In the car, Paul and I both started wondering what we got ourselves into?!  Then I remembered all of you out there and thought about why I challenge myself.  I do this to grow mentally and shrink physically :)

We got to Fitness Pro Spa and connected with the Tri group and our Friendly Trainer Jon we headed over to the transition area to set up our bikes.

We then headed to Foss Swimming School to start the Tri!   Stay tuned for a really awesome post later today or tmrw with the low down of event itself :)  I will give you a sneak peak and tell you, even rain couldn't stop UNSTOPPABLE MARIAH!
Unstoppable "crazy in the rain" Mariah

3 comments:

  1. I love what you said..."I do this to grow mentally and shrink physically"!!! LOVE THAT!!! Can't wait to hear more about the tri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear about the triathlon!
    Yay for job security!

    ReplyDelete