Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Introduction

Hello-

This is my first attempt at a blog.  I began my weight loss journey back in July 2009.  I'm learning I must be more open and honest with my feelings and thought this would be a great way to start.  For those getting to know me let me share how my story started by training for the Trek Triathlon. 

My journey started back in July of 2009 when my friend Heather came back from the Woman’s Trek Triathlon.  She was full of life, amazing energy and looking to recruit new triathletes.  If you've ever met Heather you know right away, she's a unique, wonderful and amazing individual.  In my eyes, she's one of my angels I met along my journey.  She sent me pictures and a little bit about her Triathlon and asked me if I was up to the challenge of joining her next year.  I had always wanted to do a Triathlon and was coming to terms with my unhealthy lifestyle.  I had gained more than 100 lbs since my son was stillborn back in 2002.  Eating was the only way I knew how to deal with his death and all of the dreams I had for him.  My mother had been diagnosed with kidney cancer the Christmas before and I knew I had to change.  For anyone that has the pleasure of knowing Heather she is so immensely compassionate and believes whole heartedly in people.  I found myself asking, if Heather believes in me so much, why don't I believe in myself?  With that thought, I made the commitment and signed up.  I knew if I paid the registration fee, I would do the triathlon.  My husband, daughter and family were extremely supportive.  My mother herself who has struggled with her weight, was understandably concerned with mine and was proud I was working to change it. 

I started training for a triathlon at 306 pounds.  Yes, all 306 pounds of me started training.  At first it was embarrassing working out, wondering what others thought of the fat girl trying to lose weight.  Finding gym clothes was challenging.  I found humor in that, so I’m overweight and need to lose weight, but can’t find any gym clothes to do it in.  Ironic?  What I didn't expect to happen, my whole body hurt.  Oh yes, not just the muscles hiding deep within but apparently when fat bounces, it hurts.  I had a choice, to stop . . . . or to keep going.  I choose to keep going; this theme became very prevalent during my journey.  Working out and changing your life is a choice, it doesn't come "easy", it's not automatic for me.  It's a choice and I keep making that choice every day of my life.  I posted that I was doing a triathlon on facebook to ensure I could stick to my goal and not chicken out.  If everyone in your life knows your goal, it makes it very challenging to back out.  Heather kept checking in to see how I was progressing and offered encouraging words.  My friends helped keep me track with making good food choices and always helped me in celebrating my new healthy lifestyle.  My husband and daughter also empowered me when I had set backs as did so many other wonderful people in my life.

A co-worker who was an avid cycler helped me purchase a used beginner bike and I started biking outside.  I'll never forget my first 3.5 mile bike ride; I came home bawling barely able to make it up the stairs at my house.  My first thought, there is no way I can do this, what did I sign up for?   My husband Paul came to talk to me, he encouraged me to keep going.  He reminded me that he, Hannah, Heather, Mom, Jason, my cousin Pam and everyone else knew I could do it.  He told me that I had to come to terms with knowing that I could do it.  He reminded me that I had to believe in myself and that I had to CHOOSE to keep going.  As I continued to work out, it got better.  I must admit, I still don't love working out, but I did fall in love with the way it makes me feel.  It’s strange how people start noticing you.  This part was more difficult for me, it seemed like I was more likable just because I lost weight, but yet I was the same fun loving person I've always been.  Suddenly everyone started noticing my body and it made me more self-conscious then ever.  I did love buying new clothes.  For anyone that's shopped in the plus sizes, we all know they think we are all old ladies who have no taste in clothes.  It was so great getting to shop in misses sizes.  For the first time in a long time, I found myself actually being okay looking at myself in the mirror and watching the changes in my body.

Heather helped me with my swimming.  She took me for my first real swim with her at the YMCA.  I realized I was a little off in my definition of swimming, splashing around in the pool with your child isn't swimming.   To say I was terrified to swim would be putting it mildly.  The thought of having to swim 1/2 mile with not touching the ground in a lake was absolutely mortifying.  Heather gently got me going, starting one lap at a time, giving me advice and telling me things to expect.  She has a gift of challenging people to reach their potential.  The first day we swam, we did 1/4 of a mile, not bad for a newbie!  I again found muscles I didn't know I even had.   The thing about swimming it's a total body work out and you don't even know when you sweat because you stay cool in the water.  I could have a cardio and muscle workout in a short period of time.   As you can probably tell, I've fallen in love with swimming.  I tend to zone out and just think when I swim.  Sometimes I think about why I'm on my journey, sometimes I pray for people, sometimes I just count my strokes and other times I just tune out the world and feel the water.

I found running to be my biggest challenge.  I dislike running, I’m hoping one of these days it starts becoming natural to me.  Maybe in time it will and maybe it won't, but again, I will choose to keep going.  My husband was amazing, he never complained about me taking time to train.  He took on more duties around the house because I was not only working full time, but also a part-time student as well.  He never once made me feel bad for making Mariah time.   If I came home and ran before dinner, he would have it waiting when I got back.  If I ran after dinner, he would clean the kitchen and help Hannah with her homework while I was gone. 

On an early morning in July, Heather came to pick me up for our drive to the Triathlon.  We planned to go a few days early to get settled and have girl time.  We drove to Winona, MN to pick up Michelle.  Michelle was my second angel I met on my journey.  She is another AMAZING woman.  She is welcoming, heartwarming and her smile lights up a room.  She embraces you as if she's known you for years.   She, like Heather, makes you believe you can do anything you set your mind to.   On our drive to Pleasant Prairie WI we shared stories of joys and sadness.  We bonded and made friendships that will last a lifetime.  I feel so lucky to have met both of them and feel honored to call them friends. 

The day before the Triathlon I got to meet Sally Edwards, the first female triathlete and share part of my story with her.  I got to listen to amazing stories of cancer survivors who were triathletes.  They had talks on what the next day would bring, how to change a bike tire, etc.  They set you up for success.  If I had any doubts if I could accomplish crossing the finish line they were completely melted away.

On July 11 at 7:15 am I was standing on the beach with my wave listening to Sally Edwards inspire us thru her bullhorn.  She gives each wave a phrase.  My wave . . . . I am unstoppable.  It was so fitting with the theme I had found while training, I choose to keep going.  I am unstoppable was the phrase I told myself in the middle of the lake while I was struggling with a Charlie Horse.  The day before my Mom had told me, when I couldn't swim anymore to feel for her angels help carry me.  Those angels were with me as I chanted out loud to myself "I AM UNSTOPPABLE".

When I made it out of the water, I staggered, yes staggered, to transition and jumped on my bike.  I smiled as I heard my husband and daughter ring the cowbell Heather loaned them.   They stood holding a huge sign with huge smiles.  I was struggling on the bike as I hadn't trained on hills, but I kept chanting "I am unstoppable".  I remembered everyone that believed in me . . . Paul, Hannah, my family, Heather, Michelle, Jason, Brianna, Pam, Sari and the list went on, and then I remembered I believe in me.  The amazing thing about Trek, as people pass you, they tell you encouraging words.  They told me this hill is yours, you can do it, keep going, you are almost there, and you got this.  It was empowering.   They have great volunteers that jump up and down; they clap, cheer and encourage you as you go.  Here are people you don’t even know and here they are helping you along your way.   At mile 6 of the bike, a switch went off and everything changed, I fell in love with being a triathlete.  If you've ever watched the Biggest Loser, you've seen those light bulb moments.  It happened; I'll never forget the feeling.
I returned from the bike and was thrilled to be off of it and on to the 5K.  There were Paul and Hannah cheering me on.  At this point, I was exhausted and wished I had trained more but was ready to take anything on.  I of course had to jog past Hannah and Paul but quickly fell into a fast walk.  I was alone for most of the walk and began to think about what I had accomplished.  I found myself during this journey.  I learned how to cope, and I learned how to be happy again.  After I lost my son, Joey, I had lost myself as well.  I finally felt I could let him go and be at peace with it. 
Another moment I will never forget and still brings tears to my eyes is near the end of my 5k, my 2 angels Heather and Michelle were waiting for me with smiles, a sign and words of encouragement.  The sign read, “You Inspire Us”.  For two amazing woman to tell me I inspire them, for me that was priceless.  They ran with me for the last part until they saw Sally Edwards.  I got to run my last part of the triathlon with thee SALLY EDWARDS!  She put the medal around my neck.  Paul and Hannah were there to cheer me in. 
I finished this triathlon at 272 pounds.   Now I could have come up with 1000 reasons why I couldn’t do a triathlon, I work full time, I have a child, I go to school part-time, I’m not a good swimmer, I’m too heavy, I hate running and the list goes on and on.   I’ll give you the one reason I can, I am unstoppable.  This has become a theme in my life.  When life gets me down or problems come my way, I remind myself, I am unstoppable.  My journey didn’t end that day and continues to move forward.  You yourself can probably think of 1000 excuses not to do a triathlon, but I’ll give you one reason to do it, you can be unstoppable too.

A full fledged unstoppable Triathlete
Mariah Bautch

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! I have done one triathlon - in 2006. It was a 1/2 mile swim, 12.5 mile bike ride and 5k. I am not a good swimmer either, and my husband was worried sick about that portion of the event - the look of relief on his face when I got out of the water was priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, my husband and daughter were the same way. He kept seeing waves after me get out, the smile on his face when he saw me was great. Congrats on doing a tri, I've signed up for 2 this summer to keep me moving.

    ReplyDelete