Saturday, January 29, 2011

F you cold weather, snowy road, big bad hills and . . . . .Angela

Okay maybe not Angela, but I was thinking that as I tried running up the first snowy hill on the 5K this morning.  That wasn’t my only thought.   I started wondering why in the HE double hockey sticks I would pay $25 dollars on a cold morning to run up snowy hills when I could be warm in my bed dreaming of warm and salty french fries.  Instead I’m dying trying to run up this stupid and unexpected hill.  If I had known there would be hills I highly doubt I would have agreed to sign up for the 5k, but I’m thrilled that I didn’t know and that I did sign up.
I’m not sure how many readers are familiar with the footprints in the sand poem (http://www.poetseers.org/the_great_poets/misc/footprints_in_the_sand/).  This is one of my favorite stories.  Today it took on a whole new meaning for me.  I struggled during the 5K, while I have been training, this hills and snow threw me for a total loop and it was way harder then I anticipated.  My husband and friends Jason and Angela mentally and emotionally carried me thru my struggles.  Without them, I’m not sure I would have made it today.  I started slowly jogging in the beginning but ended up fast walking almost all of the 5K.  They encouraged me thru the hills and the icky snowy roads.  Instead of being worried about how fast they would complete the race,  they kept me going by staying by my side helping me along.  At one point I was worried about being last.   Jason being the amazing friend he is, told me I didn’t need to worry, if it came to that, he would run in behind me.  What at AMAZING friend!  To make my hubby proud I sprinted thru the finish line!  He always wants me to do that, but it scares the crap out of me, but I totally did it! I’m starting to appreciate and understand I’m worth it.  I’m worth the effort.  Jason and Angela know I’m worth the investment and I want to make sure I return on that investment.   I promise to pay it forward and will continue to get myself to the healthy and balance person I know I can be.  My cousin Pam is doing her first 5K this spring (not hilly, not cold, whoo hoo, I'll make it) I am so proud and excited for her.  I will keep training and be there for her if she struggles.  I will be there to carry her thru the hard times.  I will be there to run in behind her and let her shine in the glory of her accomplishment. 
We plan to sign up for the same race next year, I’m confident that I’ll be able to accomplish the goal of jogging the whole time.   My definition of success today is that I have amazing and wonderful people in my life that will continue to help me reach my goals.  I can’t even begin to describe how proud, lucky and happy I am to be so blessed.
Unstoppable "F those Hills" Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment