Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day and Night Difference

I got groceries tonight after work.  With our new food choices we end up shopping once a week to purchase our fresh veggies and fruit.  It's pretty convenient for me just to run after work due to the super target being down the road from my office.  We write our menu for the week and grocery list the night before shopping.  My first stop, the produce area, my second a few canned goods, then off to frozen frozen food and dairy.  My list made the shopping so much easier, while my cart yelled "take me down the snack food isle, take me down the baking isle, taking me down the candy isle" I calmly looked at my list and kept on task.  I control the cart, the card doesn't control me.   As I put my groceries on the checkout belt I felt myself smile, I felt so proud of all of my awesome choices.  I was smiley, happy and full of energy!  Then I noticed a woman behind me, she was frowning and looked very unhappy.  She placed her items on the belt with a thud and grunt.  I noticed the groceries she was purchasing everything was processed, salty, high in fat and calories.  Nothing looked even remotely appealing.  I then looked at my groceries and was proud and excited.  It was then it hit me, part of my energy and excitement came from the great way I now choice to fuel my body.  It's a day and night difference on how I grocery shop.  I never had a plan before, I purchased on impulse.  I used to feel that tried grumpy way when grocery shopping, I love the way I feel when I go shopping now.  I also save a crazy amount of time due to skipping so many other isles in the store.  I always thought grocery shopping would be so much more difficult if I would eat healthy, it turns out to be the opposite, grocery shopping is way easier now that I'm eating healthy.

I run my first official 5K tomorrow with Paul, Angela and Jason.  I purchased some running tights and a long sleeve moisture wick top.  It should be about 23 degrees when the race starts at 10am.  I'm so excited and nervous.  I'm thankful for having friends in my life that challenge me and that I can do healthy things with. 
I've made my drinking 100 oz all five days, two workouts in and writing in my good journal everyday.  Great progress!

Unstoppable Happy and Proud Grocery Shopper Mariah

1 comment: