Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Trinona- Part 2

I last left my story on the way up the roller coaster after hitting the bottom of it with fears and insecurities.  After making the CHOICE that time didn't matter and my goal was to have a good time, everything changed.

We woke up early Sunday morning, stumbled out of bed, I was still nervous so I could barely eat.  I was excited, nervous, happy, scared. It was everything and my stomach just said no to food, but I managed to get some PB toast down the hatch.  We had gotten all of our stuff together and prepared the night before so we simply had to rack the bikes on our cars and head out.

When the four of us headed to transition, that was when it hit me.  You see these super athletes pass you by with crazy bikes and helmets.  Like super alien looking helmets and bikes.  My first thought was what am I doing here being a "big girl" and then I realized, I don't care.  I don't care if I'm the big girl, instead of letting my weight hold me back, I decided I wanted to be an example of what someone of larger stature could accomplish.  I am who I am and I'm going to embrace it.  I am not ashamed of my size, I'm proud that with my size that I'm willing to be unstoppable.

Before we knew it, it was time to start the Tri.  Poor Pauly was pretty nervous about the swim.  I made a deal with him, I would shout out, Don't Die during the swim as I passed him (he started 4 minutes before me) and he would yell I'm alive as he passed me on the bike leg.  Sure enough I found him struggling in the water, I felt so bad and worried.  He told me I needed to keep going and that he would be fine.  We had decided that we were doing this on our own and that we wouldn't wait back for each other so I kept going.  I love that we have this trust and support in our relationship.

I was really struggling in the water with wanting to do the front crawl, but the weeds really got to me mentally.  So I took a mental step back and remembered, I was going to enjoy myself.  I ended up side stroking most of the swim and every once and awhile a back stroke.   I took deep breaths and worked to enjoy the cool water on my face and realized I was overcoming my fear of swimming in weeds.  Before I knew it, I was out of the water and on my way to the bike.

I was excited to be 1/3 of the way done, but nervous for the hills.  I kept reminding myself it was going to be fun and worse case, I'll walk up the hills with my bike.  Off I went on my bike, past the lake and towards the hills.  Trinona is very well organized and they keep participates so safe.  While we still needed to pay attention to our surroundings it was great to know we had extra eyes and ears to help keep us safe from traffic.  As I approached my first hill, I change gears and it was amazing (I LOVE "RAGE"- my bike).  I made it up the first hill and just kept going.  I started having fun, not worrying about how fast I got up the hills or that I was too slow.  It just started becoming a wonderful Sunday afternoon for a great bike ride.  I took each hill, one at a time and just kept lowering my gears as I would get to a hill.  It worked wonderfully, as I was enjoying my ride, Paul came past me yelling "I'm alive".  I was so darn happy to see him and couldn't be more proud as he passed me by.  As I approached Bible Verse Hill, I talked to the spectators along the side.  They had the best seats in the house.  I'm very proud and thrilled to say, I didn't have to walk my bike once!  I stayed on the whole time and enjoyed it.  I couldn't stop smiling, it's funny how your perspective can change in less than 24 hours.  The bike leg is 5.5 one way, you turn around and go back 5.5 miles, the first portion is where you go uphill more often, the way back in turn is more downhill.  It was way FUN and fast.  My bike got up to 28 miles per hour at one point, it was THRILLING.

I seriously couldn't stop smiling as I got to the end of the bike leg and on to the 5K.  The difference between this Tri and my past Tri’s is that I wasn’t so exhausted and dog tired.  Instead, I felt energized, alive, and empowered.   Guess maybe this training thing is paying off
J  I was so excited to be there and make it to the 5K.  I had issues running because of not wearing socks, I had done this before, but had new shoes and a new ankle brace, but at this point I didn't care much.  I jogged when I could and walked fast when I couldn't.  I view each blister I got as a proud example of how far I’ve come on my journey.  I was so happy when I saw my fellow Tri family peeps on the other side (closer to being done).   Paul and Hannah met me close to the end to cheer me on, as I got closer to the finish line, I could hear all of my "family" yelling me in.  It is a truly indescribable feeling of support and love to hear them.

I finished the Tri in 2 hours and 12 minutes.  I am beyond proud of myself.  I'm proud that I didn't give up, that I didn't have to walk my bike, I'm proud that I have the courage, strength and believe in myself.  I'm thrilled that I don't let my fears drive my decisions.  I may not be able to always control my emotions, but I can choose how I react to them.

I will say this again to anyone considering doing a Triathlon.  If I can do this, you can do this.  It is so worth the emotional and physical journey.  It will pay back 10 fold.  Don't let your fears hold you back.  Challenge yourself, be willing to grow, be willing to be "unstoppable".  I'm looking for more peeps to join me for Trek and/or YWCA Triathlons this summer . . . . . are you willing to Dare to Tri?  


Unstoppable “looking to add to my Tri Family” Mariah

6 comments:

  1. I am not willing, yet. I wouldn't put it totally out of my mind. I think you are an incredibly strong woman and I admire you for going after you dreams!

    PS -- A friend and blog that I read just wrote about wanting to try and Tri. I am going to link her to your blog, and here is the link for her's. Maybe you can throw some advice her way.

    http://milesforbreakfast.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/i-want-to-try-a-tri/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You experience makes me want to try a Tri! Sounds very amazing and inspiring and I can feel the pride you felt yourself!! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, LOOOOOOOVE times a million!!!!!! So proud of you!!!! You are amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog!I'm so glad you found mine :)
    Congrats on doing the tri. I have so many reservations but it's most about the swim and getting into a bathing suit to train for it. Isn't that just silly? I need to get over myself and my self-consciousnss asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the post, loved how you shared your rollercoaster! I was sucked in to the story! You are definitely unstoppable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, a very well written recap of your experience. I am competing in my first duathlon this fall. Part of me is scared, while part of me is super excited. I am not scared of the run too much, but I am just getting back into biking after a looooong layoff. Biking was so much easier when I was a kid on a 20 inch, single speed bike.

    Anyway, thank you for your inspiring story. It sounds like no matter how physically ready you may be, the most important part is having your head in the right place. Congratulations and continued success in your future adventures!

    ReplyDelete