Monday, September 19, 2011

How much is a point worth?

I’ll come clean and admit I haven’t been the best at counting my points since starting weight watchers but I promised to get on track and with the program this week.  We went grocery shopping this weekend and it hit hard what it’s like to be on a regimented program.  It’s not that I haven’t been aware of what I’m eating, however I haven’t been counting calories etc.  In general, I know what good choices and bad choices are.  I’m also not accustom to paying attention to carbs, normally I look at calories, fat, fiber and sodium.  The new Weight Watchers Points Plus focuses on Carbs, Protein, Fat and Fiber. 

When I first pulled out my handy dandy ww calculator I was beyond mortified.  I was trying to be as discrete as I could as I plugged in the numbers to figure out how many points things were.  Paul and Belle wanted to help out and discreet when out the window.  Granted we weren’t yelling across the store or anything, but Belle wanted to help punch the numbers in, so that required us to tell her the numbers as she called out carbohydrates, protein, fiber, fat.  Then you try to figure out, is it worth the points?  My mind started spinning at I felt like I was back at square one of my journey.  At times, I wanted to melt down, cry and scream this sucks and it’s unfair.  Then I realized I needed to grow up and live in reality.  I’m still significantly overweight.  I have limits on my working out until my foot gets better.  I need a program to help get me thru the next few months if I want to be successful.  I must be accountable in order to loose weight.  While I’m using this program as a tool, I’m NOT on a DIET.   I’m on a healthiness journey using different tools at different times as needed to succeed. 

Paul is very supportive, which is beyond helpful as I hear horror stories of husbands/significant others who put up obstacles on their wife/girlfriends in their effort to get healthy.  He packs my breakfast in the morning (I know lucky gal- smiling as I type that) and he writes down the points or weight of my food.  This is where I am and I will own it, because I’m worth it.


Unstoppable “point counting” Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment