Monday, July 11, 2011

Black, Blue, and Purple are my new favorite colors

This is the hardest blog that I've ever had to blog.  Instead of accomplishing a step forward in my physical goals, I took a HUGE step or shall I say "fall" back.  Friday morning, I was doing a little dance in a driveway and pulled a good ol Mariah.  Suddenly my foot twisted and gave out, I felt my ankle roll and hit the side bone hit the pavement.  I immediately fell to the ground and rolled around writhing in pain.  It took everything I had not to scream horrible and naughty words.  I knew it was bad, but kept telling myself it couldn't be as bad as it felt.  That it just couldn't happened.  I was adamit that I was Unstoppable Mariah, nothing would stop me from participating in the Tri.

As we drove to Trek, I iced and elevated it, but it kept getting bigger and bigger and bruising started showing up.  Not a little bruising, but big ugly bruising.  I couldn't even get my shoe on, yet I was confident that I would participate in the event.  I woke up Saturday am and had a heart to heart talk with my sister that led me to calling the Nurse Careline.  They said based on my bruising and swelling, I should NOT do the Tri.  If I did participate in it, I not only would throw back my rehab time, but I could potentially cause permanent damage causing me to never be able to do any future Triathlons.

To say I was upset would be an understatement.  I had a hard time deciding as I felt if I didn't do the Tri, I would be letting everyone including myself down.  How could I let something stop Unstoppable Mariah.  Then I took a huge step back and really thought about it.  If I do this Tri, I'm putting myself at HUGE risk to completely stop my journey.  Doing one Tri, no matter how amazing it was, wasn't worth never being able to run again, to bike again, to have daily issues with walking.  I decided that instead of looking at this as a tragic and horrible thing, I need to focus on what I can learn from it.  How I can be a better person because of it, and how I can move forward.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the unexpected take aways from being a "non-participate" of the event.

Unstoppable "fat little colorful piggies" Mariah


8 comments:

  1. wow girl! You totally made the right decision! There will always be another tri...there wont be another foot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god your toes turned black?! :P
    I am glad that you made the right decision. Sometimes in life we it those bumps in the road. You aren't stopping, you aren't throwing in the towel or giving up, you are simpy in a different wave start this time!
    I hope your foot is feeling better! You will be back to Baywatch Jogging in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so painful! I hope you feel better asap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariah had an amazing positive attitude (more than normal) during the weekend. We surrounded her with our love and support and assured her there would be future events with her Tri family. We couldn't be more proud of her. She still is Unstoppable Mariah and continues to inspire each of us every day! :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is DEFINITELY a good thing you didn't do that tri! Holy cow!! That's quite the injury. The long term journey is always better to think about than the short term. You WILL run a tri someday. Nothing will get in your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch. And you are still unstoppable, just not necessarily in the way you initially intended. You know that it is a long term thing and won't let a bump in the road derail you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mariah is very inspiring in all she does. This little setback could have brought the whole weekend down but instead it was just the opposite. I can't wait for you to read more about the amazing blessings from this past weekend! --Kristi

    ReplyDelete