Friday, July 15, 2011

Small steps forward

Who knew my next big milestone would be that I could get a shoe on my right foot?!  I find it so ironic that I used to HATE (really, hate) running and right now I crave it beyond words.  A week out from the fall and my foot is starting to resemble its former self.  There is still significant swelling in the area in certain areas, however I no longer have a huge bulging stump on the bottom of my leg.   Plus the area that it was dark purple bruising is fading away.

These signs help me feel hopeful.  My foot is still tender and weak, but it's better than it was 1 week ago.  When I went to Tria they said full recovery would be 6 months to a year out.  I think my new brace deserves a name since it will be spending such a long time with me.  

Now that I'm a week out, I'm starting to formulate my plans moving forward.  Next step is to hit rehab hard and to slowly start back swimming.  As swimming goes well, I'll increase my distance and slowly start biking.  As biking goes well, I'll increase my distance and start walking. There is little hope for jogging in the near future.  In fact, I may never be able to do much real running with my ongoing running issues.   That's what I love about Tri's, I don't have to rock running and I can still do great.

It's hard not to be scared of future setbacks and start panicking.  Then I remind myself, I'm different now, I approach things differently.  One day at a time, one choice at a time, I will get there.  Any aspect of this being a race to the finish has been removed completely and now it truly has become a slow and steady journey in which I can slow down to enjoy it.  It makes me think of me as a child, my Mom always told me I was one to stop and smell the roses.  Here is my chance to do that in my journey of health.
Unstoppable "Rose Smelling" Mariah

2 comments:

  1. And stop to smell them you did. Remember eating snowflakes on the way in to your FOSPA class when you were four years old? They were delicious and calorie free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspective! Sounds like a slight blessing in disguise... we need reminders to slow down at life. Can't wait to hear more updates!!

    ReplyDelete