Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Great Debate, to Tri or not to Tri

My fellow Triathlete friend Michelle sent our team an invitation to an indoor Tri that takes place February 13th.  They have a Mini Sprint Triathlon that consists of a 400yd swim, 8mi bike, and a 1 mile run.  The great part is that it's all indoors, the scary part is I don’t feel quite ready.  So my great debate, am I up for the challenge?  Looking at the legs individually I know I can do them, it’s when you put them all together that gets me nervous.  It would be a great opportunity to see everyone and help continue to keep me excited for the triathlons this summer.   So no more debating, I’m going to do it.  Heck you only live once right?!   Another bonus, no snowy darn hills (sorry Angela, but poor butt finally recovered today, I couldn’t sit without wincing for over 3 days)!

My buddy Jason is getting me hooked up with a device that is very similar to what they use on the biggest loser.  I think he’s afraid I’ll really throw my Wii board out the window.  To be honest it’s a valid concern some days.  So this nifty little device looks amazing and I’m confident that this additional tool will help me reach my goals.  It’s called the Bodymedia Fit Armband (http://www.bodymedia.com/What-is-BodyMedia-FIT).  I’m so excited to try it out and learn more about how many calories I burn a day, how many steps I take, how well I’m sleeping at night etc.  It does require logging your food accurately and diligently, but I'm committed to doing that knowing it will help me with the results.  I had some hesitation at first wondering the reaction of people when I’m wearing an armband.  I wondered what the armband would say those around me, “she’s too stupid to do it without it”, “the fat girl needs help”, “she takes this too seriously”, or “what the heck is that thing?”.  Guess what I realized?   I don’t think I care what other people think.  So what if I use an amazing tool to get me the results I want?  It seems like when you changing your life and making healthy choices there are always those out there that will watch you like a hawk.  They  watch you to make sure you are making the choices they think are right or they want you to slip up so they don’t feel bad about making bad choices themselves.   I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked if I can eat this or that on my “diet”.  I’m not on a diet, I’m participating in life.  I don’t have restrictions, I make decisions (thank you Jen, priorfatgirl.com).  Yes, I can eat cake, I won’t often, but when my birthday comes I’ll eat a slice.  Yes, I can eat pizza, but no I won’t eat 5 pieces.  Instead I will have a big salad with it.  It’s all about better choices and balance.  So once I get my new Bodymedia Fit Armband, I will wear it proudly and say “I’m cubby and proud!”.  Okay maybe I won’t say that, but I won’t be ashamed of who I am and what I need to be successful.  I’ll be proud that I can overcome the negative thoughts in my head and make the right choices for myself. 

Tonight I need to find a few new goals, I’ve been putting it off.  I’ll write down a schedule of working out to help me for my February 13th mini Sprint.  I’ll share them with you later tonight or tomorrow.  By the way,  I almost made all of my previously set goals, I missed one day of food journaling but I tried to make up for it by going to the gym Sunday putting working out a 4 times instead of 3.

Unstoppable Trier Mariah

2 comments:

  1. Mariah, I'm glad it was a good workout for you! My shins were killing me. It's crazy what a little bit of slush and hills can do! Good to hear you are going forward with the next challenge. Also, you are just a little crazy for wondering what people would think about the new device. Those that judge are often those that aren't necessarily happy themselves, don't you think? Those that have chosen a healthier lifestyle will acknowledge and appreciate the effort you are making for yourself and your family! Who ever watches Biggest Loser and thinks negatively of their device? Keep retraining that little voice in the back of your head...cuz you are your own worst critic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ang, I am working on turning that mean little voice off and finding a much more postive fun one. Sometimes just admitting it's there makes it quite down. When I write out what I think sometimes it helps me realize how silly it sounds. Hope your day went better today!

    ReplyDelete